Old women of the family usually know many secrets, we call "totkay" that provide simple solutions to common household problems. The following information is almost like that - the only difference is that we are now banking more on expensive sprays and methods to rid us from rodents and other problems, rather than relying on age old tested simple and inexpensive solutions.
See for yourself if you did not know before !!
Ants Problem : Ants hate cucumbers. Keep the skin of cucumbers near the place or ant hole.
To get pure and clean ice :Boil water first before freezing.
To make the mirror shine : Clean with spirit
To remove chewing gum from clothes : Keep the cloth in the freezer for an hour.
To whiten white clothes : Soak white clothes in hot water with a slice of lemon for 10 minutes
To give a shine to hair : Add one teaspoon of vinegar to hair, then wash hair.
To get maximum juice out of lemons : Soak lemons in hot water for one hour, and then juice them.
To avoid smell of cabbage while cooking :Keepa pieceof bread on the cabbage inthe vesselwhile cooking.
To rid the smell of fish from your hands : Wash your hands with a little apple vinegar.
To avoid tears while cutting onions : Chew gum.
To boil potatoes quickly : Skin one potato from one side only before boiling.
To boil eggs quickly : Add salt to the water and boil.
To remove ink from clothes : Put toothpaste on the ink spots generously and let it dry completely, then wash.
To skin sweet potatoes quickly : Soak in cold water immediately after boiling.
To get rid of mice or rats : sprinkle black pepper in places where you find mice or rats. They will run away.
SALT USES .. YOU MAY HAVE NOT KNOWN BEFORE
1. If you drop a whole egg on the floor, pour salt all over the egg, let it sit for a while, then use dustpan, the egg will come right up, without all that mess.
2. Soak stained hankies in salt water before washing.
3. Sprinkle salt on your shelves to keep ants away.
4. Soak fish in salt water before descaling; the scales will come off easier.
5. Put a few grains of rice in your saltshaker for easier pouring.
6. Add salt to green salads to prevent wilting.
7. Test the freshness of eggs in a cup of salt water; fresh eggs sink; bad ones float.
8. Add a little salt to your boiling water when cooking eggs; a cracked egg will stay in its shell this way.
9. A tiny pinch of salt with egg whites makes them beat up fluffier.
10. Soak wrinkled apples in a mildly salted water solution to perk them up.
11. Rub salt on your pancake griddle and your flapjacks won't stick.
12. Soak toothbrushes in salt water before you first use them; they will last longer.
13. Use salt to clean your discoloured coffee pot.
14. Mix salt with turpentine to whiten your bathtub and toilet bowl.